Sunday, June 5, 2011

Race car cupcakes



These are the cupcakes that I made for my son's third birthday party yesterday!  He asked for a race car cake and that's what I tried to give him!  I searched online and I couldn't find exactly what I wanted, so I used some things that I found, and came up with this.  I realize this has nothing to do with WW and eating these will definitely not help you lose weight, but I am pretty proud of how they turned out, so I wanted to share them!  I found red, yellow and blue paper liners at Party City.  I used a boxed chocolate cake mix, and iced the "track" with regular store bought chocolate icing.  I put regular vanilla icing in a Ziploc bag with a small tip to pipe on the track and the lines in the middle, and write start and finish.  My mom actually found the cars at a dollar store.  They are Cars, the movie, gummies.  When she told me she found them, I expected them to be regular gummy bear sized, but when I opened the box, they were the perfect size!  I found the flags at Party City, they were in with Cars, the movie, Lightnin' McQueen and Tow Mater.  I found the candles at Party City.  For the grass, I used regular store bought vanilla icing and dyed it green, put it in a Ziploc bag, snipped 1/8 in off the end and used a squeeze and pull motion to pipe on the grass.  I got this idea from the Hello, Cupcake! cookbook.  As you can see, they all look different, but that's OK, grass doesn't always look the same.  It actually is really easy to pipe the icing on, but to make it even easier, you could just put the green icing on just with a butter knife and it would probably look about the same.  These are for kids, so they don't care!

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, I am super impressed! I'll have to remember this idea for the future! And Happy Birthday to Aiden!

    ReplyDelete