Sunday, January 29, 2012

Mini Egg Omelets/"Muffins"/Frittata/Quiche/Cups

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/broccoli-and-cheese-mini-egg-omelets-2.html

We had my husband's parents over yesterday for brunch so I tried these, and they were a big hit!  I searched for a recipe because I had seen, years ago, Rachael Ray make something very similar on her show 30-Minute Meals on Food Network, and I thought it looked really cool then.  It was very difficult for me to find a WW friendly recipe that was what I wanted, so I used this one as a base and made some changes.  You can really make this recipe fit whatever you like best for your omelets.  I made the title encompass all the breakfast egg recipes because I really feel like is a combination of all of them.

I added cubed ham that you can buy in a package already cubed for you in the meat section.  You could also use sausage, turkey sausage, chicken sausage, cut up bacon or any meat you like.  I used spinach instead of broccoli.  I used 2 boxes of chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed out all the water.  One would definitely have been plenty.  You can use any veggies, or combo of veggies you like, mushrooms, peppers, etc.  I just used 1/2 cup of 2% shredded cheddar or you could use the WW mexican cheese.  I didn't use any oil.  I added crushed red pepper to give it a little spice, but you could also add some hot sauce.  I added some garlic and scallions, but you could also add any onion or chives or shallots.  You can add any other spices you like, cilantro, dill, oregano, again the possibilities are endless.

Be sure to spray your muffin pan with PAM first because the eggs will definitely stick and you probably won't get "cups" out but scrambled eggs!  So, I just put the spinach in the bottom of each cup in a 12 cup muffin pan.  I added some ham on top of the spinach.  I beat the eggs and egg whites with the salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, scallions & garlic and poured the mixture over the spinach and ham.  Then I topped each one off with the cheese.  I had to cook mine for about 25 minutes for them to be set, but I would check on them after the 20 minutes and see how your oven does.  Mix this recipe up, try different combos at different times, have fun with it!

In the recipe comments, people that tried this recipe said they used these as a quick grab and go breakfast option, from the fridge or the freezer.  One lady even said she "smushed" it into an english muffin for a breakfast sandwich! 

No comments:

Post a Comment