Monday, May 2, 2011

Crock pot Chicken Taco Salad

This recipe is more of a method of cooking chicken in the crock pot.  It is so easy and so good.  You will definitely be doing it all the time!  I got the idea from a neighbor that uses her crock pot almost every day to cook dinner.

Spray the crock pot with PAM.  Put about a pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot.  Cover the chicken on both sides with either chili powder, an entire packet of the powder taco seasoning (I use the lower sodium one) or an entire packet of the powder fajita seasoning.  I use different ones all the time, just try them all at different times and see which one you like the best.  Cook on low for 4 hours.  Shred the chicken using two forks.  You are not adding any liquid, and you would think that it would dry out, but trust me it won't.  The seasoning releases the natural juices from the chicken and once you shred it, it all just mixes together.  The possibilities are literally endless with this method.  What I do is make a taco salad with the chicken.  I buy a bag of shredded lettuce (0pp) and divide it evenly between my husband and myself on a plate.  I boil a bag of whole grain rice and divide that evenly between us also(4pp for 1/2 bag) .  Then I top both of our plates with 4 oz. of chicken (3pp), I use a food scale to be sure it's the right amount.  Then I mix either greek yogurt (0pp for 2 Tbsp) of light sour cream (1pp for 2 Tbsp) with salsa (0pp) and pour it over mine as a dressing.  My husband likes hot sauce and soy sauce mixed with salsa.  You can add cheese, diced tomatoes, just salsa, just sour cream, crumbled tortilla chips.  You can put the chicken on the lowest pp wheat tortilla you can find and roll it up.  Just add up the pp based on what you decide to use.  My taco salad is 8pp total.  It is really filling to the point where I almost cannot finish it sometimes.

I use this method with the crock pot and the chicken to make endless recipes.  You can add barbecue sauce or honey teriyaki sauce or Italian dressing or Catalina dressing or steak sauce.  I have even done buffalo wing sauce and put the shredded chicken on a whole wheat bun for a buffalo chicken sandwich.

You can also do pork chops, but I would reduce the cooking time to 3 hours instead of 4 on low.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds Great!! I have a similar recipe - 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts w/ a jar of salsa.

    ReplyDelete