Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Grilled Tri-Tip and Squash & Onions

One of my neighbors and good friends told me I had to try tri-tip because it was the best steak she ever had!  It is a little difficult to find near me, but I think it is pretty much available at health food grocery stores.  It actually was pretty reasonably priced also.  Since I had never even heard of it before, I obviously didn't know how to cook it, so I found this site:

http://www.tipsycook.com/how-to-cook-a-tri-tip-without-ruining-it/

I didn't have the choice of trimmed or untrimmed, so I did trim a little bit of the fat off the bottom.  I didn't leave it out for their suggested time, but I did leave it out for about an hour before I cooked it.  I seasoned both sides with grill seasoning and Cavender's all purpose greek seasoning, a seasoning that a good friend and excellent steak griller turned me onto.  Mostly, because that is what I already had on hand.  I did do exactly what they suggested with the grill temp and the burners.  I did not use any oil, as they suggested, but I did spray the grill with PAM for grilling.  I cooked it for about 15 minutes on each side, but next time I may try about 10 minutes on each side.  I did let it rest for a few minutes and cut it against the grain.  It was very tasty and juicy!  I was very pleased with the outcome!  Just weigh out how much you eat, and search for a steak on WW since Tri-tip is not listed.  I ate about 6 oz., and it was 7pp.

As a side I made an old summertime staple in my family growing up, squash and onions.  I just cut up a couple of good sized squash into discs, cut up the onions into thin strips, put them in a pan with a tight fitting lid, sprinkled them with salt and pepper, sprayed a little spray butter, put enough water to come up about halfway in the pan, cover and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes, occasionally stirring.  It is 0pp for as much as you want to eat of it, and it is so good!  You could also do the same with zucchini. 

No comments:

Post a Comment