Friday, July 15, 2011

Grilled Flat Iron Steak & Grilled Fruits & Veggies

It is a little convoluted how I got to the dinner that I made tonight, but it turned out really well!  My mom brought me some vegetables that a friend had brought to her right out of their garden.  She had so many that she shared with me and I shared with some neighbors!  I wanted to use them before they went bad, so I had to get creative.  What I was wanting to use for tonight was eggplant, which I love, but I wanted to do something different, so I decided to go to the grocery store to get inspired.  Today was a beautiful day here, so I wanted to grill.  I went to the meat counter and they had some beef that I had never seen or heard of before, so I asked the butcher to help me and he told me about the flat iron steak.  It was inexpensive and he said it was the best steak he had ever had.  So I came home with it, did a google search to find out how to cook it, and I found this:

http://www.grillingcompanion.com/flat-iron-steak/

I didn't let the meat rest out of the fridge for as long as the site said, I just left it on the counter while the grill was heating up.  I just sprinkled grill seasoning on both sides.  I didn't get all fancy with the grill lines, I just cooked it for 7 minutes on each side and it was cooked perfectly!  It was very tender & juicy.  It is 5pp for 3 oz., 9pp for 6 oz.

For my eggplant, I found this article:

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--857/grilling-fruits-and-vegetables.asp

Wow was it helpful!  Anytime you want to grill a fruit or veggie, you're all set!  I just sprayed each piece of eggplant with PAM for grilling.  I didn't do this, but I would suggest sprinkling the pieces with some grill seasoning or salt & pepper because they were a little bland.  You can eat all the eggplant you want for 0pp!

No comments:

Post a Comment